Fail on Sunday – Is David Rose incompetent or deceitful?
As reported by Peter Sinclair on Climate Denial Crock of the Week, David Rose has lit up the deniosphere with yet another outing for his favourite “gobal warming stopped in [insert year]” meme. I am so tired of reading this, I emailed the Editor of the snoozepaper, Paul Dacre (cc. the Press Complaint Commission) – see transcript of email appended below – but I think I should just have sent him a link to the Skeptical Science website where he will see the following:
These graphs are reproduced here in accordance with Creative Commons licensing principles.
Dear Mr Dacre,
Complaint regarding serial misrepresentation of fact by David Rose
With reference to the rebuttal published by the Met Office yesterday (appended below), I hereby wish to complain about David Rose’s inaccurate reporting of relevant facts. The key points being as follows:
1. David Rose has done this – and been rebuked by the Met Office for doing so – before.
2. The Met Office has not published any report (“quietly” or otherwise) on this subject.
3. Global Warming has never been consistent (because anthropogenic CO2 is not the only factor).
4. Any “pauses” can be explained by other factors (the Sun, volcanoes, ocean currents etc).
5. The overall multi-decadal warming trend can only be explained by the effects of anthropogenic CO2.
I should therefore be grateful if you could advise me as to whether David Rose is merely incompetent or being deliberately deceitful; and confirm that the Daily Mail will now publish an apology and/or correction.
UPDATE: The Press Complaints Commission (PCC) responded to my email – telling me they would ask the Met Office (MO) if it wishes to submit a formal complaint. I responded to the PCC (copying my reply to the MO’s Press Office) saying that I hope they do. Meanwhile, Dana Nuccitelli has provided the UK’s Guardian newspaper with a far more detailed rebuttal: